Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
12 February 2015
Our biggest fundraiser each year is the Spring Plant Sale, 7th March, 2015, and we need volunteers to help. This event helps the garden pay necessary bills and enables the garden sustain itself. Watch for volunteer opportunities in the newletter.
Gardeners are asked to send out the following message to their personal email lists.
Sunshine Community Garden Certified Organic Spring Vegetable Plant Sale starts at 9 A.M, March 7, 2015. 30,000 Hard to Find Tomatoes, Wicked Hot and Sweet Peppers, Eggplant, Herbs including recommended varieties for our area. Live Music, local vendors, and lots of fun. Bring the whole family. Inspect gardens, visit the chicken coop and take home some Lady Bug Compost. Check out www.sunshinecommunitygardens.org for more information.
The majority of the trailer renovation is finished. One bathroom is open, the other is still not open. The floor is complete and the whole place is painted. Thanks to all who participated in the effort, especially to Randy and Janet. If you haven't seen it yet go look, it's spectacular.
Daydreaming of Summer
It's Never to Early to Start Planning your Summer Garden
The lists of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and tomatillo varieties on sale at the Spring Plant sale is now on the website. You can start choosing which varieties to plant right now. Just go to www.sunshinecommunitygardens.org and on the left hand side are the lists.
If you see any rabbits in the garden please let Stuart Nichols know. Include the date seen and place seen. Stuart's email is email@example.com
Workdays to prepare the gardens for the Spring Plant Sale.
- Saturday 21 February led by Mary Gifford and Ludmila Voskov
- Saturday 28 February led by Ila Falvey and Cheryl Hazeltine
See email addresses at the bottom of this letter and email for more information.
Notice to Gardeners
Sunshine Gardens are all organic. Non natural herbicides and pesticides are not used. Additionally treated wood is not used in the gardens as it contains preservative chemicals.
Finally, there is a new initiative to replace patches of lost milkweed, especially along the I-35 corridor from Minnesota to Mexico.
If you have any plants you want to contribute to the plant sale, now is the time to do it. There is potting soil in the greenhouse and pots. After potting up the plants on the potting bench along the side of the greenhouse, label them with the name of the plant and leave them on the potting bench.
What to Plant in Early February
Asparagus crowns, Broccoli plants, Cabbage plants, Cauliflower Plants, Carrots, Chard, Onion Sets, Peas, Potatoes and Spinach.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-President - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Secretary - Ginny Heilman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds email@example.com
- Director - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Director - vacant
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Jing Li firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova email@example.com
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall email@example.com
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder