Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
21 April 2016
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
Bulk Compost Sale This Weekend!
We will have thirty yards of compost delivered on Friday (4/22) for purchase and use by Sunshine gardeners. We will be selling it at our cost, not as a fund-raiser, and to simplify the process, we'll be using five-gallon buckets as the unit of measure. One bucket will cost one dollar. Buckets and shovels will be available, but we ask that you leave the buckets at the pile and use a wheelbarrow to transport the compost - just fill up as many buckets as you want to buy and dump them into the wheelbarrow.
There will be a cash-box in the greenhouse for you to leave payment in cash or check.
We ask that you limit yourself to a maximum of 20 buckets initially, to give everyone a chance to get some compost. If there is still any left on Monday, those who got their limit can go back for more.
The compost is "Dr. Gobbler" brand turkey compost, a product that has produced good results for the gardeners who have been using it so far at Sunshine.
If you have any questions, please contact Jeff Monks (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Need TSBVI Service Hours?
The recent rains and warm weather have made the grass grow. Mowing the fence line along Sunshine Dr. and 38th St. (area both between the fence and street and inside the fence) is needed and counts as TSBVI service hours. Every gardener needs to work at least 1 TSBVI service hour each season. If you have not done your TSBVI service hour for the spring season, mowing the fence line is a way to get that hour. Other TSBVI service hour tasks are weeding the granite paths in the TSBVI garden (Stirrup hoe works well. Be sure to rake smooth.) and cleaning up compost area.
SCG Web Site - New Feature!
If you have pictures you want to share on the Sunshine web site Sharon has created a new feature that will allow you to do this.
Navigate to the upload page to upload your pictures.
Go to the Gardener's picture page to see the pictures. Click to see a larger view of each picture.
Austin Organic Gardeners - Tomato Talk
Jim Willman and Randy Thompson spoke to a packed house of the Austin Organic Gardeners (still running at 71 years, longest in the country) about tomatoes last week and as a way of answering some of the questions I encouraged folks to come out to Sunshine and have a look around. It would nice if our gardeners made them feel welcome. The talk covered cultural practices, the tomato test plot, the tomato tastings, what we sell at our plant sale and our personal favorites.
How Can You Help?
April 2 we donated 33 lbs and April 9th 18.5 lbs. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
- DO NOT let the vegetables from your garden go to waste!
- If you can't harvest because you are out of town or busy, complete the signup process below and allow the Micah 6 volunteers to harvest your produce.
- If you are harvesting to make room for spring plants and can't use it all, donate your produce.
- How to donate your produce:
- If you are harvesting vegetables from your plot for donation, place them in plastic bags available in the "cool room" and put them in the refrigerator in the trailer.
- To sign up for someone to harvest in your plot, follow the directions posted in the "cool room" in the trailer or on the bulletin board outside the tool shed. You are asked to place a flag (located in the "cool room") in the plot and then post your specific directions on what can be harvested on the white board in the "cool room" along with your plot number. Also, use a "green dot" which is provided to locate your plot on the map located on the wall next to the white board. More details are provided on the posted directions.
- Harvesting is done on Thursdays and/or Fridays. Depending on the number of donations, deliveries are made Thursdays from 3:00 to 3:30 PM and Saturdays from 9:00 to 9:30 AM.
- We need planters, harvesters, weeders and deliverers.
- Contact Mary Gifford (email@example.com / 512-453-9742) or Dana Kuykendall (Kuykendall@austin.rr.com / 512-496-6575) if you would like to volunteer. You will find find Mary in her garden. It is in front of the tool shed. Stop by and talk to her if you have questions.
- Volunteer hours count towards service hours.
Potluck to highlight our partnership with Micah 6
Sunshine Community Gardens
Sunday, May 1st, 5:00 pm
Mark your calendars for a 5 pm potluck on May 1 at SSG to highlight our partnership with the Micah 6 Food Pantry and consider joining out team of volunteers. We have been making contributions of fresh organic vegetables to the University area food pantry since 2003. This food pantry is one of the largest distributors of food from the Capitol Area Food Bank. Our fresh produce comes from the garden plot in front of the trailer, and in large part, from individual donations by fellow Sunshine gardeners. Volunteers are needed to assist with all aspects of the project- gardening, harvesting, preparing vegetables for delivery, and delivering to the nearby food pantry. We harvest on Fridays and make a delivery every Saturday around 9 am. This is a very rewarding project and remember this service counts toward your volunteer hours. Stay tuned for more details as the date becomes closer. We hope to see you then!
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Jeff Monks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Jim Willmann email@example.com
- Secretary - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Vacant
- Director - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Jing Li firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Irina Kadukova email@example.com
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall email@example.com
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz email@example.com
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder