Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
29 April 2015
Sunday 3rd May, 2015 Work Day 4:30 - 6:30 pm
A rare Sunday workday...and great weather will make this a beautiful "evening" work opportunity. *** REMEMBER TO DO YOUR TBVSI HOUR *** or use this time to complete your regular volunteer hours before the summer deadline.
This workday will be led by Charlotte Jernigan.
Get your volunteer hours in before it gets hot and before June 30th.
National Weather Service Climate prediction for May.
Central Texas is predicted to have lower than normal temperatures during May, and we're on the edge of having higher precipitation than normal. All good news if it comes to pass. Most of us are experienced enough to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
At this time of year the summer weeds and plants flourish. Get a head start on the weeds and remove them before they grow extensive roots and are even harder to remove. Our soil is still somewhat moist which will also help in removing weeds. If you leave them they will not go away; they will only get bigger and harder to remove. If allowed to mature the weeds will crowd out the less robust plants. Hand weeding also becomes laborious in proportion to the time it is delayed. Fifteen-twenty minutes a week will help keep weeds under control.
Another consideration is your neighbors garden. If you could keep the weeds on your plot only there would be no problem but inevitably the weeds stray.
Compost Pile Open
The southernmost compost pile is open for use.
Things to plant in April
All month: Amaranth, Beans, Corn, Cucumber, Eggplant, Muskmelon, Okra, Peppers, Pumpkin, Southern Pea, Squash, Sweet Potato, Tomatillo, Tomato transplants, Watermelon.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Vice-President - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Ginny Heilman email@example.com
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Michael Hall email@example.com
- Director - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - vacant
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Jing Li email@example.com
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder