Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
24 July 2013
Attention Sunshine Gardeners
Electronic Invoices have been sent to your email of record for payment due on or before July 31, 2013. You might have a payment due for all or any the following reasons:
- You paid for only a 6 month plot fee
- You did not perform the number of general service hours as required by the contract
- You did not perform the one required TSBVI hour
The Board of Sunshine has strongly encouraged you on many occasions to record your hours. The information you recorded is the basis for the service hours billing amount.
We thank you for your prompt payment of fees.
Use of Plastic in Vegetable Gardens
There has been some discussion recently about the use of plastic sheeting as mulch in vegetable garden.
Here's an article from Rodale Press about mulching. http://www.rodalenews.com/garden-mulch
In addition, Mother Earth News has an article, "Dangerous Plastics, Safe Plastics", by Linda B. White, M.D. published in the August/September issue, 2009 http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/dangerous-plastics-safe-plastics
Just a Reminder
Micah 6 is happy to deliver any of your extra veggies to the food pantry. We drop them off on Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning. You can place donated vegetables in the refrigerator in the trailer (if perishable) or on the table in the air conditioned trailer space.
We ask that you clean and bag the vegetables before placing them in the fridge. There is a roll of plastic grocery bags on the table.
If you have any questions please contact Linda Francescone, email@example.com
The Micah 6 team
Preserving your Veggies
If your garden is overflowing with produce and you want to preserve some of it check out the Penn State Cooperative Extension service website for detailed instructions.
We often have new gardeners who are new to gardening. We're looking for seasoned gardeners who wish to share their expertise and gardening wisdom with the newbies or with people on the wait list. Mentoring can take as little or as much time as you want. Mentoring might involve showing them your plot and talking about how you do things to having them help you maintain your plot. If you're interested in being a mentor, please contact Kay McMurry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thought for the week
We care about where our food comes from, we care how it is grown, and we care about the footprint we leave behind.
- Dr. John Reganold, Regents Professor of Soil Science and Agroecology
Things to do in July
To get ready for the fall garden add compost and till into soil. Plant fall squash, pumpkins, okra, beans, Eggplant, cucumbers and winter squash.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Vice-President - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Berk Bettis email@example.com
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Michael Hall email@example.com
- Director - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Emily Tisinger email@example.com
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Jing Li firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova email@example.com
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Emily Tisinger email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder