Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
14 September 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at email@example.com know. Thanks.
Compost Is Coming Again!
More compost will be delivered this Friday, 9/22. Cost will be $1.00 per bucket. This compost should only be used at Sunshine.
Micah 6 Food Pantry
Being that August and September are low veggie production months, the poundage going to the Micah food pantry has hit a temporary slump. If anyone would like to pick up an extra bag of fruit when grocery shopping and donate it, it will be greatly appreciated. Please leave in fridge in trailer before 9:00 am on Saturdays and mark it "Micah".
Workday Saturday, 9/30
8:30 - 10:30
Fulfill your required hours by attending the next Work Day that will be organized by Mary Gifford (Zone 5 coordinator).
Note the TSBVI tasks that can be done without supervision below. The TSBVI garden pathways are very weedy. Remember to rake smooth so students will not trip.
Duties that Count for TSBVI Service Hours
July 1 thru December 31, 2017
- weed paths of TSBVI garden
- smooth paths of TSBVI garden
- edge TSBVI garden area
- weed area between TSBVI garden and TSBVI classroom
- weed paths of accessible raised beds area
- smooth paths of accessible raised beds area
- edge accessible raised beds area
- cut grass outside of fence along Sunshine and 49th St
- cut grass along inside fence on all sides of Sunshine Gardens
- remove trees and weeds from fence line on all sides of Sunshine Gardens
- edge sidewalks and curbs along Sunshine and 49th St
- pick up trash outside of garden along Sunshine and 49th St
- pick up and dispose of trash in our compost area
- working in garden outside of gate at entrance to Sunshine
- special jobs assigned by Janet Adams or Nicole Fisher, TSBVI teacher
What does NOT count
- cutting grass except for areas listed above
- working in gardens around the trailer
Our agreement with TSBVI states explicitly that Sunshine is responsible for keeping all of the garden clean, orderly and maintained. The one TSBVI hour per plot is to benefit the school and their horticulture program more specifically.
Please contact Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org with any problems or questions about this list.
Nicole is a teacher and keep in mind that if you see her at the classroom or in the TSBVI garden, she is probably working and will not be able to stop and talk. Her first priority must be the students and the school.
And always remember that the service hours requirement is a minimum, not a maximum.
Miracle Plants in our garden by Luda Voskov
Below is information about the Moringa plant, which is a real miracle plant. The plant is very adapted to the Texas hot summer, very easy to plant, maintain and harvest. Luda has a beautiful Moringa tree on her plot and will be happy to share her wonderful experiences with this plant.
- The miracle tree Moringa is a multipurpose that is native to parts of Africa and Asia. It is also called drumstick tree by the British and Malunggay in Philippines
- In India, it is found on the foothills of the Himalayan mountains. This plant belongs to the family Moringaceae. It derives its name from the Malayalam word, 'Muringa'. It is a multipurpose plant and its leaves, pods, fruits, flowers, roots and bark are beneficial in one way or the other.
- The moringa tree grows easily in semi-arid, tropical and sub-tropical climate and is reported to be beneficial for human beings as its various parts are edible.
- Some of the most commonly used parts are moringa leaves and seeds. Moringa seeds and roots are used to extract oil and the flowers can be cooked and eaten.
- Apart from these, its bark, sap, seeds, oil, leaves, roots and flowers are used in making traditional medicine in many countries.
The most amazing thing about moringa is that all parts of this plant including its bark, roots, leaves, flowers, seeds, sap and pods are a storehouse of nutrients and antioxidants. Thus, this plant possesses innumerable health benefits and has the capacity of curing several diseases. For this reason, it is referred to as the 'miracle tree' and is widely used in traditional medicine.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder, email your article or suggestion to email@example.com. On normal weeks content should be received by end of day Wednesday.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Nick Sweeney firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Marilyn Landberg email@example.com
- Secretary - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Bill Cason firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Lori Dobbin email@example.com
- Director - Randy Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish language contact - Andriana Prioleau email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder