Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
12 October 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org know. Thanks.
Trip to Taylor
Upcoming Austin Events
- Oct 21 3-6: Natural Gardener's Customer Appreciation Celebration
- Oct 22 10-4:30 Fermentation Festival
- Oct 28 10-1 East Austin Community Garden Tour (Patterson Park, Homewood, St. Davids Foundation, Blackshear, New Day and Meuller)
- Oct. 29 12-3:30 Green Corn Fund Raiser
Now that the days are shortening and dusk falls quickly, it is easy to forget to lock the front gate and the buildings. If you are the last person in the garden--even if it is not fully dark--please lock up!
All gardeners: Please take a few minutes to clean off the Sunshine Gardens tools by rinsing them off at the water station directly to the right of the tool shed door. It is quick and easy as the high pressure nozzle really does all the work. Great for cleaning out the dirt from beneath your fingernails, too! Thank you, and happy fall gardening!
Beautifying Our Community
A very big thank you to Jess, Jay, Alison, Jill, Victor, Patty and Walter for their labor intensive work (including sapling removal) in maintaining the gardens surrounding the trailer. But there is much more to do; another workday will be scheduled soon. If you are interested in helping, please contact Ila Falvey.
What is Compost Tea?
Compost tea is free to Sunshine Gardeners and usually available on the weekends in the north greenhouse. There will be a sign outside if there is a fresh batch.
The benefits of using of aerobic compost tea include improved plant growth (protecting plant surfaces with beneficial organisms which occupy infection sites and prevent disease-causing organisms from finding the plant), better retention of nutrients and water in soil, increased nutrient availability in the root system, better uptake of nutrients through the foliage, reduced evaporative loss from the leaf surface, and improved soil structure.
Compost tea can be used as either a soil drench or a foliar spray. The tea should be diluted approximately 10:1 before use, so 1/2 gallon should be more than enough for your plot! The tea should be used within 8 hours after bottling because the millions of live microorganisms in the tea use up available oxygen very quickly in the confines of a small container where they can go dormant.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder, email your article or suggestion to email@example.com. On normal weeks content should be received by end of day Wednesday.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Nick Sweeney firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Marilyn Landberg email@example.com
- Secretary - Polly Porter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye email@example.com
- Director - Bill Cason firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Lori Dobbin email@example.com
- Director - Randy Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri email@example.com
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Kristin Phillips firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish language contact - Andriana Prioleau email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder