Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
5 November 2014
T-Shirt Design for Sunshine
To all Sunshine Gardeners:
New designs for a Sunshine Gardens T-shirt have been submitted. Now is the time to vote for your favourite, by clicking on this link.
The voting ends on Sunday November 9th.
Additionally a reminder to all gardeners to check the website periodically for current information.
Rabbits are Back
If you spot any animals of any kind in the traps, please send a text message to the telephone number on the trap, or email Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, please report any NEW rabbit sightings to the above address, giving the date/time seen, and where seen, including plot number if known.
If you are interested or willing to help please contact Stewart at email@example.com.
Saturday, 15th November, 8 a.m. Lots of help needed. Come one come all.
We need to replace the plastic on the greenhouse in preparation for seeding the herbs for the plant sale. This job will take a lot of volunteers. If you have any questions contact Janet Adams at jartdaht@ gmail.com.
The Green Binder
Important Reminder: The Virtual Green Binder (VGB) makes it easy for each gardener to check hours worked and amount owed. Simply scroll to the bottom of the screen to see the totals. For example, this gardener knows she must complete one hour of TSBVI service by December 31 or pay $50.
*A training session for gardeners needing help entering service hours on the Virtual Green Binder is scheduled for Saturday, November 15 from 9-10. Come help repair the greenhouse and take a quick VGB break.
Are holes appearing in the leaves of your vegetables?
The problem could be caterpillars. Check out this link for information on types of caterpillars in Central Texas.
Thanks to the following Sunshine gardeners who volunteered to be on the educational committee.
- Jola Edwards
- David Dasso
- Laine Hardy
- Elizabeth Breston
- Kurt Mitschke
- Shannon Poser
Gardeners, please remember that Sunshine's site rules require you to maintain two feet beyond the surrounding border of your plot into paths and common areas. This allows us to keep our borders with our neighbors neat and organized.
Note to Readers
Do not send emails to this address as the editor only checks incoming mail once or twice a week. Send your emails to one of the board members whose email addresses are at the end of this newsletter.
Events of Interest to Gardeners
6 November, Thursday, 10am - noon
Raising Backyard Chickens
Travis County AgriLife Extension Office
Master Gardener and blogger Ally Stresing will share her love of backyard chickens in this informative talk on the care and maintenance of the home flock. From constructing a predator-proof coop, to choosing proper feed, to handling boredom and the pecking order, Ally will guide you through the ins and outs of caring for happy, healthy hens.
Register at here or by phone 979-845-2604. $10 fee, $15 late and on-site. Class is limited to 40 people.
A site with a multitude of links of interest to gardeners in Central Texas: http://gardeninglaunchpad.com/Aus.html
Vegetables to plant in November
Early to mid-month: - Carrots, Turnip, Chard, Kale, Mustard.
All month: Kale, Lettuce, Radish, Spinach.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-President - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Secretary - Ginny Heilman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds email@example.com
- Director - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Director - Linda Francescone firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Jing Li email@example.com
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Margaret Powis email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols email@example.com
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder