Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
16 November 2017
If you are signed up to receive the Weekly Weeder and have not been receiving it, here is a troubleshooting page to help. If this doesn't help, please let Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org know. Thanks.
Tomorrow: Live KLRU FB Broadcast!
KLRU's program Decibel will be doing a live broadcast on Facebook about food insecurity in Austin on Nov 17 at 11 am. They would love to have lots of folks at the garden gardening, so If you're available please come out.
- Nov 17 from 11 am Live Broadcast from Sunshine; all gardeners welcome!!
- Nov 18 from 10 am to noon. Workday at Sunshine
- Nov 19 from 10:30 to noon Weeding near Trailer at Sunshine
- Nov 28 from 10 am Free Organic Pest Control Class (The Natural Gardener). Neil Schmidt helps you identify common garden pests and how to treat for them.
- Dec 3 from 5:30 pm Sunshine Gardens Annual Holiday Party. Contact Ila Falvey to help with this event. Contact Ila Falvey to help with this event.
Special Weeding Assistance Requested ...
The Sunshine Community is looking for help with weeding and maintenance.
This weekend, there are two options to help the community and gather hours for the Green Binder:
This Saturday, November 18 from 9:00 to 11:00 am will be an organized workday organized by Zone 2 coordinator, Katy Davis and VP, Marilyn Landberg. Katy and Marilyn will be providing delicious breakfast muffins and thank all for making our gardens a beautiful place to visit and work!
This Sunday, November 19 from 10:30 to 12 pm is for those who like to weed. Ila Falvey is looking for assistance to weed and mulch the garden near the office trailer. If you want to help get this garden into shape, please take advantage of this activity to fulfill your service hours requirement! Thank you!
Although the weather currently says otherwise, we are likely to have a freeze in the coming month. It cannot hurt to start preparing! According to The Natural Gardener:
Protect tender plants during freezes. Use sheets, blankets, or specially-designed row cover. Construct a cold frame or a "hoop house." Mulch, mulch, mulch! Water well before a freeze (except for prickly pear cactus). Allow hardy perennials to freeze back, and do not prune them until late winter or early spring, if you can stand it. The dead structure of the plant helps to insulate and protect the living core of the plant, and is part of the winter landscape. In addition, any pruning can stimulate tender new growth, which would be susceptible to subsequent freezes.
Should you have any content to add to the Weeder, email your article or suggestion to Kristin Phillips. On normal weeks content should be received by end of day Wednesday.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Gardens
- President - Nick Sweeney email@example.com
- Vice President - Marilyn Landberg firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Polly Porter email@example.com
- Treasurer - Caroline Limaye firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Bill Cason email@example.com
- Director - Lori Dobbin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Randy Thompson email@example.com
Email the board.
- Zone 1, Martin Morales firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 2, Katy Davis email@example.com
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey email@example.com
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan email@example.com
- Zone 7, Maria and Philip Wiley firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Zone 8, Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Kerry Howell email@example.com
- Zone 10, Christopher Schroder
Karl Arcuri firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekly Weeder Newsletter - Kristin Phillips email@example.com
- Plant Sale - Randy Thompson & Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- TSBVI Liaison & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Assignment - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compost Coordinator - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Education Committee - Shannon Posern firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Steve Schulz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Kitchen Supplies - Anita Keese
(If supplies are needed for events, contact by email or at 512-773-2178)
- Compost Tea - Jennifer Woertz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah 6 - Dana Kuykendall email@example.com
- Micah 6 - Mary Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert email@example.com
- Spanish language contact - Andriana Prioleau firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - Green Binder