Sunshine Weekly Weeder Newsletter
31 July 2013
Let's Talk Tomatoes...
Did you have problems with your tomatoes this season?
This is a good site to help identify what the disease may have been.
Good tomato disease reference...
Virtual Green Binder
Good news for gardeners entering their work hours or checking their work hours.
You can now check your hours without entering hours in. Go to the tab "Virtual Green Binder" on the website and a dropdown list will show on hover:
- > Hours Worked
- > Enter Hours Worked
Each gardener is expected to contribute an hour a month to Sunshine, if you're unsure what to do check with your zone coordinator and watch this space. In addition one hour per six months is required to be completed for projects for Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired.
Find out about Bee Keeping
There will be a tour of bee hives around town on August 17th. Ticket price $5.00 If you are interested here is the website for more info.
Pollinator Talk: All about Texas Native Bees
Saturday, Zilker Botanical Gardens, Aug 3, 9am to 12pm
Native bees are the most important pollinators of flowering plants in Texas. This session will focus on:
- The basics of bee identification
- Separating bees from other flower-visiting insects
- Major native bee groups
- How to conduct bee surveys and process specimens
Host: Michael D. Warriner, Invertebrate Biologist, TPWD
Cost: Free with admission to Garden, $2/adults, $1/children and seniors
RSVP by emailing Anjoli.Fry@austintexas.gov or by calling (512) 477-8672 X17.
We often have new gardeners who are new to gardening. We're looking for seasoned gardeners who wish to share their expertise and gardening wisdom with the newbies or with people on the wait list. Mentoring can take as little or as much time as you want. Mentoring might involve showing them your plot and talking about how you do things to having them help you maintain your plot. If you're interested in being a mentor, please contact Kay McMurry at email@example.com.
Thought for the week
It would be an anomaly to find a student of nature addicted to the vices that cast so many dark shadows on our social life; nor do I remember among the sad annals of criminal history, one instance of a naturalist who became a criminal, or of a single gardener who has been hanged.
Shirley Hibberd, 1856
Things to do in August
All month: plant Cucumber and Summer Squash
Early to mid month: plant Corn, Eggplant, Pepper, Southern Pea, Tomato, Winter Squash
Fertilize (with organic fertilizers) after first fruit set for higher productivity.
Officer and Zone Coordinator Contacts - Sunshine Garden
- President - Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-President - Janet Adams email@example.com
- Secretary - Berk Bettis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer - Jack Reynolds email@example.com
- Director - Michael Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director - Kay McMurry email@example.com
- Director - Emily Tisinger firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 1, Jody Trendler email@example.com
- Zone 2, Katy Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 3, Ludmila Voskov email@example.com
- Zone 4, Ila Falvey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 5, Mary Gifford email@example.com
- Zone 6, Charlotte Jernigan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 7, Jing Li email@example.com
- Zone 8, Irina Kaducova firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zone 9, Cheryl Hazeltine email@example.com
- Zone 10, Emily Tisinger firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plant Sale - Michael Hall email@example.com
- TSBVI Liason & Volunteer Coordinator - Janet Adams jartdaht@gmailcom
- Plot Rental - Kay McMurry firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentry & Repairs - Robert Jarry email@example.com
- Water Leak Repairs - Stewart Nichols firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tools & Wheelbarrows - Bob Easter email@example.com
- Website Coordinator - Sharon Rempert firstname.lastname@example.org
Record Service Hours Online - the Virtual Green Binder